It’s hard to believe the base of these gooey chocolatey brownies is made from black beans. This recipe is a favourite and was first published in the Wholesome Child book - now we’ve added our Veggies+ booster, making them even more nutritious with added vitamins, minerals and greens. Don’t hold back; it’s perfectly okay to enjoy a second serve!!
Dietary: VEG, DF, NF
Boosted Black Bean Brownies+
dessert, healthy treats, lunchbox friendly, snacks
Please note: Veggies+ powder is manufactured in a facility that also processes products containing milk, fish, shellfish, crustacea, eggs, soy, tree nuts, lupin, and sesame.
1 ½ cups (270g) cooked black beans or 1x400g canned black beans, rinsed anddrained
¼ cup (60ml) coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup (30g) cacao powder
2 tbs (16g) carob powder
Pinch of sea salt
2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract
1 tsp (4g) baking powder
¾ cup (110g) coconut sugar
3 tbs (30g) Veggies+ powder
Preheat oven to 160°C and line a20cm x 20cm baking dish with baking paper.
Place beans and eggs into a high-speed food processor or blender and process until smooth and creamy.
Add remaining ingredients and process until well combined and smooth.
Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
Place in oven and bake for 25 mins or until a knife or cake tester comes out clean.
Allow to cool before cutting into little squares.
Serve with whipped coconut cream and fresh strawberries for a dessert treat.
Serving and storing leftovers: Serve immediately, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to7 days or freeze for up to 4 months.
- Add 1 tbs Protein+ Choc to the batter before baking.
- Add ½ cup of crushed nuts to the batter before baking.
- Add 1 tbs Superfruits+ powder to the batter before baking.
- Add 1 cup of raspberries to the batter before baking.
- Add a pinch of stevia to the batter before baking to sweeten further.
- Add dark chocolate buttons to the batter before baking.
- Top baked brownies with melted dark chocolate.
Allergy advice and simple swaps:
- Swap black beans for adzuki beans or kidney beans.