Mac n Cheese is a firm favourite amongst many Australian families. Unfortunately, it often lacks a whole lot of nutrients. So we have given it a healthy overhaul and swapped brown rice penne for white pasta, and added our unique Veggies+ booster to increase the nutritional value so you and your family can enjoy it as a regular family meal!
Easy Mac & Cheese+
main meals, lunch meals, lunchbox friendly
Please note: Veggies+ powder is manufactured in a facility that also processes products containing milk, fish, shellfish, crustacea, eggs, soy, tree nuts, lupin, and sesame.
2 cups (200g) brown rice penne
1 tbs (20g) butter, unsalted
1 tbs (10g) tapioca flour
3/4 cup (180ml) milk of choice
2/3 cups (60g) cheddar cheese, shredded
1 1/2 tbs (15g) Veggies+ powder
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside.
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
Add tapioca flour and whisk until well combined. Allow to simmer for 1 min.
Add milk and bring to the boil, whisking continuously.
Mix in cheese and Veggies+ powder and season with salt and pepper (optional).
Place the pasta in a casserole dish and cover with cheese sauce.
Sprinkle with extra shredded cheese (optional) and bake in the oven for 15 mins or until the top is golden brown.
Serving and storing leftovers: Serve immediately, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 4 months.
- Add 1 cup (100g) cauliflower rice and 1 cup (180g) peeled and grated zucchini to the white sauce before cooking.
- Add 1 tsp of paprika powder to the cheesy sauce.
- Top pasta with 1 tbs of white chia seeds before baking.
Allergy advice and simple swaps:
- For a dairy-free version: Swap butter for coconut oil, swap milk for a dairy-free milk alternative and swap cheese for 1/3 cup of nutritional yeast.
- For a non-gluten-free version: Swap rice penne for wholemeal pasta of choice.
- For a school-friendly treat, place mixture into mini muffin holders and bake for approximately 25 mins to create mini mac ’n’ cheese muffins.