Feeling tired but know that you have a family to feed? Look no further than this one meal wonder. Loaded with veggies, wholemeal spelt flour and egg, it’s an easy and nutritious tummy filler for little ones. I recommend serving it with tzatziki or homemade tomato sauce – the kids will love it.
Easy Wholemeal Corn Fritters
Allergens: NF, DF
1 zucchini (190g), washed
1 corn cob (200g), washed and kernels removed
1 large egg
5 tbs (55g) wholemeal spelt flour
½ tsp (2g) baking powder
Pinch sea salt (0.5g)
Pinch pepper (0.5g)
Extra virgin olive oil, for frying
Grate the zucchini and squeeze out a bit of excess water, using a sieve or a clean kitchen towel.
Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.
Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
Spoon heaped tablespoons of the batter into the pan, flatten down with the spoon or a fork and cook from both sides for about 4 mins each or until golden brown and crispy.
Place on paper towel to cool down a bit.
Serve warm with a dollop of Greek yoghurt (optional).
Serving and storing leftovers: Serve immediately, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 4 months.
- Add 2-4 tsp of Wholesome Child Veggies+ to the batter before frying.
- Add 1-2 tsp of Wholesome Child Veggies+ to the dipping sauce (Greek Yoghurt or sauce of choice).
- Add fresh herbs, garlic, onion, cheese, grated carrot
Allergy advice and simple swaps:
- If your child does not like the texture, blend all ingredients to make a smooth batter before baking.
- For a gluten-free version swap spelt flour for ½ cup of gluten-free flour blend.